Dienstag, 17. Februar 2009

Exklusiv: Rakaa Iriscience (Dilated Peoples) im Interview

Exklusiv für Resurrection of Rap nahm sich Rakaa Iriscience, seines Zeichens ein Drittel der Dilated Peoples, Zeit, um zwischen den Aufnahmen für sein neues Album ein paar Fragen zu beantworten. Das Interview gibt es im Original, auf Englisch also, um einen unverfälschten Eindruck zu vermitteln.

> So first, how are you?

I'm blessed, thank you. No complaints.

> What can we expect from your upcoming album, when it probably will be finished and how it will be called?

My solo album is called "Crown of Thorns" and it will be out late
Summer/Fall 2009... I am working to finish it now. It will change some
things! Hahahaaa!

> Can you tell us a few details about the album? Who will be appearing as a guest and/or producer? What makes the album special?

So far, Babu, Evidence, The Alchemist, and Da Beatminerz have
contributed to it, but there is still a lot of work to do as well as a
few surprises. I think what makes it special is that it captures what
I feel to be the essence of Hip Hop culture, not just what we now call
Rap music over what we cal Hip Hop beats. The music of Hip Hop is an
ever evolving blend of funk, disco, salsa, rock, soul, jazz, reggae,
blues, etc., just focused in a way that speaks to and for the streets.
My album represents that.

> Do you think your Dilated Peoples-Background is an advantage? Or would you say it makes it quite harder to work on the album because everyone expects a Dilated Peoples-Sound-alike album?

It is a mixed blessing. Those that want 1/3 of the Dilated sound
because I am 1/3 of the group may be a bit confused on their way to
enlightenment. However, those that truly understand and appreciate
what Dilated has been saying and doing these years will see the clear
connection. I like adventure and experimentation in the arts, and when
you go back and look at my solo contributions to the Dilated projects
you will see that "Crown of Thorns" isn't such a radical departure. It
is actually a key to put everything else I have done in better

> What are your personal interests and objectives for the upcoming release?

My personal interests include travel, family business, Gracie
(Brazilian) Jiu Jitsu, and reading as much as I can. As for objectives
for the upcoming release, I would just say that I want to see it reach
its potential. I would love to sell a billion records doing it my way,
but doing it my way is more important than sales for me as everything
I do is part of my legacy. At the end of the day, I want the project
to inspire and entertain as many people as possible.

> Last question: What would you say, how many percent of working on the album is fun and how many percent is business?

It honestly depends on the session, the song, and the circumstances. I
feel that it is business, so I focus, hustle, and grind accordingly. I
also love what I do for a living, so it is a pleasure to wake up
everyday and "go to work". I love my job.

> Any last words to the readers of the interview?

Yes... Evidence has The Weatherman LP and The Layover EP in stores
now. Babu has Duck Season 3 in stores now. Stay tuned for Crown of
Thorns because it is on the stove as we speak. Also, be on the lookout
for new Dilated material to start bubbling soon too, as we have just
started to listen to beats for a new LP. Also, to everyone reading
this: I appreciate the international love and support, and I
appreciate the business, but PLEASE support your local Hip Hop scene!
Stop hating and support your own!!!

> Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions.

My pleasure. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen